Monday, July 16, 2012

Fall on the Mind

Yesterday I spent the day weeding and going through my seeds. I took an inventory of what I have that's gone to seed and started to collect the seeds. 

borage seeds

We have radish seeds, borage seeds, pea seeds, collards seeds, kale seeds and calendula seeds. I've also already collected sage and spinach seeds.

calendula seeds
I love the feeling of knowing that I planted something and it has given me more abundance than just the fruit.

radish pods
Although this Yarrow was given to me by another gardener my intention is to spread it around other corners of the yard.

golden yarrow
This brings me to the gist of my post, I know we're still in July and just coming off of a heat wave (apparently one that broke several heat records) but I'm really thinking about the fall. I'm starting to plan my fall planting. While this isn't the first time I try to plant for fall, this will be the first time that I try to be organized about it.

So I cleared out a few spots and now I have to do a bit of research to see when and what goes in. So far I know that my peas can go back in late July or early August. I wonder if the fall greens can go in then, we have plenty of kale and collard seeds to test it out. Also my large Italian chard is going to seed so I will be collecting those soon. Hopefully it will be as easy as collecting the spinach seeds.

I have also decided that I won't buy any more echinacea seeds since I should be able to gather them myself


Ditto for my beloved zinnias


The change in the season will not only bring a new crop but will also bring a new lifestyle for me.  A new path on my journey that I am very excited about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment