Monday, June 25, 2012

Garden Update

I'm very happy with how the garden is going, we are at the end of June and have been harvesting asparagus, peas, herbs and tons of greens. The Florida like weather has been helping - sun all day a bit of rain in the afternoon. A lot of our flowers are also blooming. And the first of the tomatoes, squashes and cucumbers are coming out.


Let's see what we have...


I love having the echinacea, I'm not sure what to do with it if anything, it's buzzing with tons of bees.


The calendula patch is also buzzing with activity 


I also enjoy having lots of zinnias, I planted them in two beds this summer. I also have cosmos, those haven't bloomed yet.


This year our nasturtium came in, last year they didn't do so well. I think the mild spring had something to do with it.


And the sunflowers are oh so close to blooming! I don't know if my mammoth ones will get to bloom this year, lesson learned: those seeds need to be protected from the birds if you're direct sowing outdoors.


Now to the veggies...
Our tomatoes have really taken off


We see a few fruits coming.


We also have our first cucumber


And the beginnings of a summer squash.


Our beans are also looking lovely.


Unfortunately, our peas have run their course - so I will plant something else in that spot - not sure what yet.


Over the weekend I made a new dish that I thought I would share with you, the photo is not so great and I ate it up before checking and retaking the photo...


Potato Scramble
This is a take on the traditional Tofu Scramble except I didn't have any tofu so I used up some potatoes we had.

4 - 5 Medium Potatoes Diced
1/2 Onion Chopped
2-3 Cloves garlic Chopped
3 -4 Tbsp Tofu Scramble Spice Mix  - I use the one in Dr Barnard's Reversing Diabetes book there are tons online.
Leafy Greens and fresh herbs of your choice - amount up to you, 4 cups is good
Tofu Pups or Vegan Sausage Chopped (optional)
1 Cup Water or Veggie Broth

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan fill with enough water to cover. boil for about 15 min until just soft. drain the water and put back in the pan to pan cook them with garlic and onions (saute everything if using oil) put the spice mix on them and cook for a few more minutes. If you're not using oil add more water or broth if the pan as the pan gets dry. When the potatoes are nice and coated add your greens, herbs and any pups if using plus add some more broth or water cover and let cook for 5 minuets or until your veggies are a bright green and your pups are warmed through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment